Media Strategist – Content Marketing/Online Media
To be a successful MS – Content Marketing/Online Media at Curiosity, you must possess exceptional oral and written communication skills. You must also possess superior interpersonal skills and be able to create a rapport with people of all demographics. You must be polished, maintaining a professional, put-together demeanor. You need to be incredibly confident, ambitious and self-motivated. You should thrive when working independently.
You should be a keen listener. You should have strong organizational skills and the ability to multitask and manage high-pressure situations. You need strong attention to detail and project documentation.
You must possess the ability to bring fresh thinking and curiosity to clients’ work to make them think about their brands in an entirely different way, and must have a passion for pushing the boundaries of knowledge, gathering and testing new media to reach our targets. You must fit into a culture of self-motivation, quest for learning and team collaboration, while expressing a curiosity that pushes the boundaries on traditional thinking.
As part of the media team, you will be expected to have an exceptional understanding of the full media planning process–from strategy to implementation, monitoring to stewardship and then tell the story of what happened and why through analytics. You must understand that media planning and buying are intertwined and are constantly evolving into cross-platform opportunities both offline and online. Being media-agnostic means you integrate all channels–from mass to search to social to meet each client’s goals and objectives. This is why we’re efficient, nimble and always curious about what we can do for our clients.
You must have an unquestionable understanding of the clients’ media business and overall marketing objectives. You must be strategic and collaborative, with strong interpersonal skills and a passion for creating insightful, intelligent work. In addition, you will be responsible for building knowledge of existing and emerging communications tools and tactics, industry practices and trends and become immersed in the client’s business and category.
The Media Strategist is learning and supporting fundamental skills for both Content Marketing and Online media. Learning and applying a knowledge base of both soft and hard Media Service skills is critical for this role. With a strong foundation of the industry, client categories and the organization this position is critical in the execution of strategic media planning and informed placements. The ability to leverage internal and external relationships, analyze data and make strong recommendations will also be a key contributing success factor.
Specific Responsibilities Include
- Research, planning, negotiation and execution of media plans
- Gauge media performance to confirm original objectives and strategies were met
- Monitor media performance to ensure original objectives and strategies are being met and optimize throughout the course of the campaign
- Maintain budget control; develop media schedules and monitoring buys/schedules
- Update Media Director and client team on status of all ongoing client projects
- Direct client communication is required
- Utilize third party research tools to identify desired target audience’s media channels
- Handle any client requests–plan changes, budget changes, provide marketplace information
- Meet with media sales reps and industry representatives on a regular basis to pursue ideas that are strategically aligned with the client’s business
- Full knowledge/understanding of digital media analytics; help guide digital strategy to provide insightful/useful information to clients in a clear and concise way
- Focus on establishing and maintaining relationships at senior levels
- Work closely with clients, understands their wants, needs and objectives and then make the important decisions
- Lead critical client presentations
- Network within and across client departments/groups/business units
- Look for business-building opportunities and indicators, both within our current client base, as well as new prospects
- Has the ability to comprehend client marketing strategies and translate them into solid results to drive media recommendations
- Must be able to demonstrate strong presentation skills and the ability to instill confidence by supporting our recommendations in a professional and well thought out presentation and discussion
- Maintain familiarity with the history, present organization and procedures of the client, as well as with conditions in the industry
- Support the account team in client presentation and discussion
- Possess track record of strong contribution and success on numerous accounts
- Lead the delivery of sophisticated and integrated communications programs according to plan
- Provide timely and appropriate updates to ownership team
- Provide solutions to project obstacles and client interactions
- Must have a proven track record of developing, writing and presenting innovative and responsible communication plans to clients at all budget levels and across all media
- Counsel clients on strategic level
- Lead/participate in client marketing/communications plan development
- Guide internal and client strategic discussions
- Is a curious and inventive thinker with resourceful problem-solving skills
- Regularly provides innovative strategic solutions
- Driver of big-picture strategic expansion
- Responsible for analyzing data, thinking creatively and dreaming up innovative strategies to make sure marketing campaigns reach the right target audience in the most effective way possible.
- Creative thinker who can work with large or small budgets to address the marketing challenges of their clients within given budgets to accomplish the goals of those clients
- Proactive attitude to make changes to existing plans to continuously improve upon results
- Seek out other agency partners to obtain the necessary information to build out correct plans
- Understand and plan against all media types–traditional, digital and social. This includes drafting how clients should determine KPI with the digital/social elements of their plan
- Determine and supervises the best possible implementation of all approved media plans and projects
- Planning should include an understanding of how media elements can be integrated and where added value should be included in plans
- Track record of successful and profitable media buys
- Create or provide input to client proposals
- Ultimately responsible for profitability of media buys for client accounts
- Actively negotiate contracts with vendors
- Knowledge of how to track and detail budgets by media to reconcile media plans and budgets on a monthly basis
- Assist Account Service in planning overall budgets
- Maintain budgets, flowcharts and content calendars and prepare such periodic reports as may be necessary
- Strong communication and relationship with Curiosity ownership and other division management
- Maintain a positive relationship with internal departments
- Set example/expectations for media team to follow in-house processes
- Work to develop and improve internal process and procedures
- Challenge others and take risks
- Gain respect of clients as a valued team leader
- Able to work collaboratively and cooperatively with many different personality types
- Lead with confidence against planning decisions
- Must possess the ability to lead by example. Must be willing and able to wear any and all hats as needed. This includes planning and buying across all media types
- Strive for success in the growth, development of junior staff through coaching and training of best practices
Industry Knowledge & Expertise
- Understand/learn the client’s industries, the agency industry and Curiosity’s position within the industry
- Add value/improvement to the agency
- Lead the collection and analysis of information such as search, social, display, content syndication, digital display and traditional media with regards to consumer behavior and what media channels should be used for specific campaigns. These choices have an impact on what the creative team produces and vice versa.
- Keep up-to-date on all available market and consumer information necessary to the preparation of the most effective and efficient media planning
- Understand and can work with secondary research such as MRI, Simmons and Scarborough data to help define target audience for media plans
- Understand competitive tracking research tools like Adview to outline competitive marketplace and understand areas of opportunity.
- Alert to new media or new methods of using existing media and new developments and informs peers of such developments
- Has a passion for staying abreast of the ever changing media landscape
- Strong negotiating skills
- Organize workload, processes and schedule in order to work quickly and efficiently on a high volume of projects to meet tight deadlines, including quick and accurate turnaround on all initiatives and deliverables
- Multi-tasking skills are a must
- Bachelor's degree, preferably with a concentration in advertising, marketing, communications or related field
- Knowledge of the principles of advertising, marketing and media.
- Knowledge of the dynamics of media–how each media element performs alone, how they perform together, and how they are constantly changing
- Knowledge of all aspects of digital media, including search, SMS, programmatic, social and mobile
- Experience with and/or interest in content marketing, especially social media advertising executions on platforms including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn and Pinterest.
- Experience with and/or interest in social media data and analytics.
- Internship/co-op/summer job experience in marketing, communications, or advertising (social media experience is a plus).
- Actively seeks information on the latest trends in content marketing, following several blogs or publications on a regular basis.
- Fluency in mathematical concepts. Ability to translate data into well-articulated ideas
- Ability to understand media data sources in terms of what is measured, the method, and information reported
- Proficiency with Word, Excel and PowerPoint/Keynote
- Proficiency with media tools such as SmartPlus/Strata, Simmons, MRI, ComScore, Adviews
- Google AdWords and Google Analytics certification
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
This position reports to the Media Director--Online.
What Is Curiosity?
Curiosity is a full-service-strategic, 360-degree advertising and communications agency with national scope and national clients. We are driving our clients’ growth by uncovering a rich understanding of how our target consumers interact, contribute to and share within the interactive space.
Curiosity provides clients with full-service communications solutions, including interactive and traditional campaign development. We are an agency filled with inquisitive, passionate and innovative marketers, designers, brand strategists, copywriters and programmers, who give our clients a superior experience based on blending insights, energy, creativity and intuition to create unforgettable campaigns and client results.